February 2014 National SNMMI Chapter Delegates' Report
February 8, 2014 4:00 P.M., Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, Palm Springs, California
Overview of the House of Delegates meeting:
- House of Delegate - The HOD is the representative component of the Society, composed of a Speaker of the House and 79 physicians, scientists, and technologist members with voting rights, each elected from and through various Society constituencies.
- The HOD is responsible to oversee and monitor committee work, approve amendments to the by-laws, provide seven members at large on the BOD (Board of Directors), approve the editor of JNM, develop and recommend policies and programs to the BOD, and review the strategic plan annually. The seating arrangement changed from classroom style to a round table to encourage more participation from members.
- Definition of molecular imaging: visualization, characterization, and measurement of biological processes at the molecular and cellular levels in humans and other living systems.
- Historian Report: Dr. Naomi Alazraki reported that in the sixty years of SNMMI there have only been three female Presidents.
- President Report: Dr. Gary Dillehay reported that not only will the SNMMI promote new products but will include general nuclear medicine as well. The SNMMI is working with cancer research, radionuclide therapy and promoting quality. The goal is to standardize pediatric doses around the world. Also, the physicians have a leadership academy like the technologists. The first class had eleven participants.
- Strategic Plan: The strategic was developed by a task force within the house. This will be reviewed annually.
- Advisory Council: Proposing a HOD advisory council with the committee of chapters, committee of councils and incoming president to be on this council. The first newsletter was created to improve communication.
- Chapter Report: The number one issue is the job market for techs and physicians.
- Membership: Reported that membership is down across the nation.
- Concerns: There has been difficulty in finding jobs at all levels - physicians, physicists, as well as technologists. 2016 Canadian production of medical isotopes will cease. 99mMO production in the USA on hold at this time.
- SNMMI working with the Alzheimer’s Association, Radiology Oncology and European Society of Nuclear Medicine as well as other associations (World Federation and the Chinese Society of Nuclear Medicine) .
- A resolution was passed to create a task force to examine the state of SNMMI governance - the role of HOD and member representation on the Board of Directors.
Deborah Havens, CNMT and Mike Middleton, MD