January 2012 National SNM Chapter Delegates' Report
January 28, 2012, 4:30 P.M., Hilton Orlando Hotel, Orlando, Florida
Overview of the House of Delegates meeting:
- House of Delegates - the HOD is the representative component of the Society, composed of a Speaker of the House and 79 physicians, scientists, and technologist members with voting rights, each elected from and through various Society constituencies.
- Definition of molecular imaging - visualization, characterization, and measurement of biological processes at the molecular and cellular levels in humans and other living systems.
- HOD quarterly conference calls will continue. Participation in the HOD has improved this year because of this. Improvement in communication between the HOD and the BOD is occurring, as a result.
- The Society will be in surplus for the first time in several years. This came with cuts in the budget and manpower in the home office. Also, the mid winter meeting attendance has exceeded budget as well as the San Antonio meeting in 2011.
- The Journal of Nuclear Medicine has national recognition.
- Pediatric Council - It was proposed to add a President-elect position and it passed.
- Name change - After much discussion, it was voted to change the name to Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. It will now be voted on by the general membership at the annual meeting June 2012.
- Announcement of a new therapy - Radium 223 for prostate cancer.
Deborah Havens, CNMT and Mike Middleton, MD