June 2014 National SNMMI Delegates' Report
June 6, 2014, Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel, St. Louis, Missouri
Overview of the House of Delegates meeting:
- House of Delegate - HOD is the representative component of the Society, composed of a Speaker of the House and 79 physicians, scientists, and technologist members with voting rights, each elected from and through various Society constituencies.
- The HOD is responsible to oversee and monitor committee work, approve amendments to the by-laws, provide seven members at large on the BOD (Board of Directors), approve the editor of JNMT, develop and recommend policies and programs to the BOD, and review the strategic plan annually. The seating arrangement changed from classroom style to a round table to encourage more participation from members (and more participation has happened).
- Definition of molecular imaging - visualization, characterization, and measurement of biological processes at the molecular and cellular levels in humans and other living systems.
- Historian Report: Dr. Fred Fahey reported this year makes the 60th anniversary of the SNMMI. During the meeting there were several history sessions.
- President's Report: Dr. Gary Dillehay reported the SMMMI has increased efforts to engage the FDA in dialogue for new pathways to improve the approval process of nuclear medicine and molecular imaging technologies. It has been challenging with the continued shortage of Mo-99, Kinevac shortage, and the price increase of MAA and the Ga68 precurser. The SNMMI now has a board seat on the American College of Radiology (ACR) Council. Also, the physicians have a leadership academy like the technologists. The first class had eleven participants.
- Strategic Plan: The strategic will be reviewed annually.
- Advisory Council: Proposing a HOD advisory council with the committee of chapters, committee of councils and incoming president to be on this council. The first newsletter was created to improve communication.
- Chapter Report: The number one issue is the job market for techs and physicians. Also, other issues include: pricing of pharmaceuticals, pricing of venues, attendance at meeting (available online), licensure issues, chapter and state meeting competing, and the lack of volunteers.
- Membership: Reported that membership is down across the nation.
- Concerns: There has been difficulty in finding jobs at all levels---- physicians, physicists, as well as technologist. 2016 Canadian production of medical isotopes will cease. 99mMO production in the USA on hold at this time.
- SNMMI working with the Alzheimer’s Association, Radiology Oncology and European Association of Society of Nuclear Medicine as well as other associations ( World Federation and the Chinese) and the AMA .
- SNMMI National Election results: Vice Speaker - Dr. Frederick Grant; Audit Subcommittee - Dr. Erica Cohen; Nominating Committee member - Dr. Mike Middleton
- A resolution was passed to add a board member on the Nuclear Oncology Council.
Deborah Havens, CNMT and Mike Middleton, MD